Sunday, May 31, 2009

Almost There?

I ran my second 5K yesterday, this time accompanied by my roommate Bethany (yay!). I finished nearly two minutes faster than my previous race in February, so that alone made me feel pretty good. But now in a contemplative moment (which could have been brought on by the excessive amount of bleach I just used to clean the bathroom), I'm beginning to see a metaphor from yesterday's 5K that is providing some much-needed encouragement as I am just three months away from my target departure in September.

If my math is correct, I am only $100 or so from having raised 100 percent of my cash budget. (God is good!) Once my cash budget is entirely raised, any additional cash I receive will be distributed to my monthly support, which is still only at 30 percent. While knowing I'm this close to having raised my cash budget has been a huge reminder of God's faithfulness and the generosity of many people, the worrier in me realizes there's still a lot of money to be raised in three short months. (Oh me of little faith!!)

So back to the 5K.

I was feeling good throughout the majority of the race. I had set a good pace and was able to pass a lot of other runners. But towards what I estimate to be the last half mile or so, I began to tire. The road was not well shaded and the sun was beating down. I couldn't see the finish line, so I had no idea how much longer I would have to run. Some people who were around me began to walk and, although walking was never an option, I was tempted to slow down. But I kept running, knowing I wouldn't be satisfied if I didn't beat my previous 5K time. As I rounded the final corner and finally saw the finish line a mere hundred yards away, I realized I was going to make it. And I knew I wanted to finish strong. I forced my legs to pump as hard as they could and sprinted (well, it felt like a sprint to me, onlookers might have called it something else) to the finish line.

As my September goal draws closer, I admit that sometimes I wonder if I'll reach the goal. But I'm choosing to place everything in God's hands and continue on this path that He first directed me to two years ago. It's been a great journey so far, and it's pretty cool to think that my September finish line is really just the starting point of a yearlong adventure in faith and ministry. If you are reading this, please keep me in your prayers as I finish this first leg of the race - that I will not grow discouraged and will continue to rely on the Lord and trust His promises. Although I could rely on my own strength to finish yesterday's run, this metaphorical run will by no means be won on my own. Pray that I will finish strong, so that I can start strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your 5k! that's so sweet.

Lauren Becker said...

great analogy, Kara. For me too, itineration felt like it required a sprint finish but my legs were soooo tired. But God is faithful to give us the strength that we need. Praying for you!