Sunday, May 2, 2010

Taxi Cab Wisdom

Hailing a taxi in Bangkok is always an interesting experience, as I never know what the taxi driver will be like. Most are friendly and knowledgeable drivers. Some are absolutely silent, some are impatient drivers, some are a little too friendly, some like to practice their English, some like to test my Thai abilities, some like to fall asleep at long red lights...I've had many a memorable taxi ride.

But I think tonight's taxi ride is the first that really resonated with my soul.

Upon learning I can speak a little Thai, my taxi driver began asking me the typical questions.

How long have you been in Thailand? What country are you from? Where do you work? Do you like Thailand? Do you think New York City is expensive? Where have you traveled in Thailand? Do you like the red shirts?

Although I did have to ask arai na kah? (what? again, please) a couple times, we conversed for much of the 15 minute ride. Sensing his sincerity, I even asked him a few questions...something I am normally hesitant to do.

When we were nearly to my stop, the taxi driver told me I spoke Thai well. Of course, that's a compliment foreigners often receive once they've moved past a five word vocabulary. Since I so desperately wish I knew a whole lot more Thai than I do, I replied to my driver by saying that I don't speak very well and that Thai is a hard language. He countered by saying that he found English to be a hard language. And then, with great feeling, he said something I will never forget...

All people eat rice (Thais say rice to refer to food in general). All people cry. All people have a heart. We speak different languages, but we are all the same.

His words were so sincere and heartfelt. Nodding my head adamantly, I told him I agreed. As I handed him the fee and exited the car, I said, pra jao oiey phon (God bless you). I'm not sure whether he heard me or if he even would understand what I meant by it, but I pray that God does bless him.

I pray that somehow, God would make himself known to this man who already seems to understand an important truth - we are all the same. No matter whether we are Thai or American, rich or poor, outgoing or reserved, hurting or content, we have all been created in God's image and our deepest needs are the same.

By taking time to talk to people who are different from you, you'll quickly learn just how similar we really are. I feel this is one lesson God has been revealing to me time and time again since coming here. And I'm so thankful for the people I am meeting in the process.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I love this post, Kara.
This sounds like such a beautiful experience. Praying for you! (and the cab driver, too)
Love you, Kara!