I started reading through Philippians yesterday, which includes the following verses:
"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." 1:27a
"Do everything without complaining and arguing." 2:14
"...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." 4:11b-12
And this morning I'm having the opportunity to put these verses into practice.
As I got into my car, ready to begin another work week, my little Saturn apparently decided it didn't like Mondays and refused to start. After several failed attempts to turn on my car, I realized my efforts were in vain and headed back into the apartment to ask Bethany for a ride to work. (Thank goodness for a wonderful roommate whose job is located a mile from mine!")
In the process of exiting my car, I also noticed a huge, brown stain on my winter coat. I realized that the spilled coffee I thought I had so nimbly jumped away from on Saturday night, had in fact, landed on my coat. So, I mentally added a trip to the dry cleaners to my to-do list, along with getting my car towed this afternoon.
Now, I know that in comparison to Paul's imprisonment as he wrote this letter to the Philippians, my circumstances aren't so dire, but they are still discouraging. However, I'm thankful that this is the chapter I "just so happened" to be reading yesterday and today. Those verses helped put an event that could easily bring me to tears into perspective.
But, if you're reading this, I'd definitely appreciate your prayers. I had to purchase brand new tires for my car two weeks ago, so my budget is already pretty tight right now and I'm not sure how much I'll have to pay to get my Saturn up and running again. Thankfully, I have AAA, so I don't have to worry about paying to have the car towed. In the midst of everything, there are blessings.
I leave with what I would consider one of my life verses, also found in Philippians:
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7
1 comment:
Kara, your words in this entry show that you are believing and trusting in His words even in the day to day things.
Before you have AAA tow it, see if they will try to jump it first. They have a more powerful battery in their truck than a regular car.
Love you honey, praying for you.
mom
Post a Comment