Friday, March 19, 2010

A special moment

I just returned from a quick walk down the soi (street) to pick up lunch from the small restaurant that keeps me fattened up on rice at least two to three times a week. The owner of the shop pretty much stole my heart from the first time I visisted nearly six months ago. Her name is Patim and the best description I can think of is that she's a Thai version of Betty White. An elderly woman who may look a little fragile, but has a lot of spunk.

As I walked towards the shop a few minutes ago, I thought through my usuals, trying to decide what sounded most appetizing today. Patim greeted me with a smile and as usual, grabbed my hand to say hello. However, rather than her normal squeeze, she held onto my hand and walked me towards the little counter where she writes down orders. As I continued to think about what I wanted to order, Patim's grip held fast. "Khaaw phat, may aw gai," I finally said, placing my order, all while thinking about what a special 20 seconds that had been.

I took a seat while I waited for my food to be cooked. To the dismay of my expanding waistline, Patim and her assistant both took turns holding up tiny dessert pancakes filled with custard and lovingly demanding I eat them while waiting for my order. I obliged and while nibbling on the truly aroy (delicious) treats, soaked up every precious moment of Thai hospitality.

Leaving the restaurant, I turned and said in Thai, "See you again, Monday." I walked away to the sound of their laughter, probably at my not so fluent use of Thai, while thanking God once again for bringing me to Thailand. For placing such special people in my life. For letting me experience such a wonderful culture. And praying that somehow my time here will leave as much of an impact on their lives as their kindness has left on mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet :)))) Please tell her your mother said "Thank you for feeding my daughter and caring for her". You can show her my picture if she isn't sure what you mean. (I showed you kids pictures in Poland to a nice lady who sold me candies to bring home to you kids. She loved it.) I'm sure as one mom to another she will understand....then eat one of those delicious custard filled pancakes for me! mom

KMC said...

I really liked this Kara. Really nice and so well written too. Dad