Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This Week in Thailand

There has been political unrest in Thailand for quite some time. While I do have a (very) basic knowledge of politics here, I certainly don't know or understand enough to give a clear explanation. However, I do want to draw your attention to some coming events so that you can be in prayer for the people of Thailand.

On March 14, one of the political factions here - the red shirts, who do not agree with the government - is planning a mass rally in Bangkok. One million of their supporters are expected to gather in the city on that day, with smaller rallies throughout the country in the days leading up to the major protest.

Things could get very tense. Please be in prayer for Thailand this week. Honestly, I have a hard time knowing exactly how to pray - but safety, especially for innocent people, is certainly a major request. I think we should also pray that the people of Thailand will realize that their ultimate hope and security does not lie in the hands of government leaders. God can use any situation for His glory, so pray that He will do just that and reveal Himself as the one true God to people whose hope seems to be misplaced.

Personally, I feel very safe and I'm not too worried about the situation as it may affect me. My apartment is located a good distance away from where the rally is going to be held. But if you feel led to pray for me this weekend - please do so!

For more news on the political situation in Thailand, you can visit the following English language newspapers:
Just remember to read with discernment, as I think the newspapers here can tend to sensationalize things.

2 comments:

Tony S said...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!

Anonymous said...

Have been praying, please send us an update on how things went on the 14th. Mom