So, I guess I should write a post about becoming a missionary associate to Thailand. After all, that is the purpose of this blog. I'm just scared it won't be what I want it to be. Here we go...
My senior year at Evangel was an incredibly busy time in my life. I was involved in campus ministry, volunteered 10+ hours a week doing public relations work at Convoy and was editor of the school yearbook. All of that, on top of schoolwork and a pathetic social life, left little time for job hunting. And, I figured that with all of the time I had invested at Convoy, they would end up hiring me. However, as the chances of Convoy employment diminished due to budgeting and graduation drew near, I began to get extremely anxious about the future. For those who don't know me too well, worry is something that comes a little too well for me, I guess because I like to have control. I can't count the times I've read Matthew 6:34 to myself. So yes, the uncertainty of life post-graduation was looming over me like a hawk ready to swoop down and grab a little field mouth with its talons. I was also questioning whether God could ever use me in a career that would impact lives for Him.
On a specific day that I was seeking the Lord for direction of some sort, a professor named Dr. Martindale, whom I really respect, approached me before Judges class with the most hated question of all, "What are your plans after graduation?"
"Good question," I responded bitterly.
He tossed a brochure on my desk and said, "Here's your answer."
As he began class, I looked over the brochure, which he had created to encourage soon-to-be and recent graduates to become missionary associates for a year in Thailand and teach English to university students. Immediately I was excited at the prospect, but dreaded the thought of having to raise a missionary budget, so we set up a meeting to further discuss the possibility. At our meeting, when Dr. Martindale discovered my love for writing and background in yearbook and magazine, he told me that there was a need for someone to work at a women's magazine. It's impossible to convey how God-directed that first meeting felt. I was overwhelmed that there was a way for God to use these skills that I didn't see as useful overseas. For the next week or so I prayed about the decision and sought the advice of family, friends and the girl who had held the position previously. Even though I wasn't 100% certain at the time, I agreed to start the process of becoming a missionary associate.
Since that time God has continued to reveal to me that he wants me in Thailand, working on the magazine at this point in time (well, Oct. 2008). Through group prayer meetings, discussions with the missionaries and even a summer job with Assemblies of God World Missions, he has confirmed my decision to be come a missionary associate. I have felt called to overseas ministry for several years, but always figured it would be further down the road, when I was more financially and spiritually prepared. But, if I've learned anything in recent months, it's that God's timing is perfect and He is always faithful. So, in September or October of next year, I will move to Bangkok, Thailand and serve as an assistant editor at Women's Connection Asia. The magazine is culturally relevant and addresses many women's issues and interests while sharing the Gospel in a way that Buddhists can come to understand it. I will help in conducting interviews, writing articles and the overall production. I believe that one of the draws of the magazine is that it is written in both Thai and English, because so many Thai people are interested in learning our language and this can be a tool for learning, while presenting Jesus.
While in Thailand I also hope to get involved with some sort of outreach to sex slaves and prostitutes. That industry is so prevalent in Bangkok and working with the most downtrodden and cast-off people is really where my heart is at. I would love to volunteer with a group, such as the Rahab Ministry, that not only shares God's love, but gives a means of rebuilding their lives, by teaching them new ways to make an income.
At this time last year I would have never guessed that the Lord had this in store for me, but I am so excited and humbled to know that he wants to use me in presenting the message of salvation to those who so desperately need it. I'm not worthy to do this, but the One who's calling me to Thailand is.
6 comments:
I'm so proud to have you as my sister
Ellie stole my comment. i'm not even kidding. i was going to write that.
:[
this is so awesome though kara. and I'm MEGA proud to have you as my sister.
heh.
Hey, Kara, you wrote your heart's passion so well. Can you even imagine how proud I am of your decision to follow Christ's leadiing for your life? It is very exciting to walk this walk of faith, knowing we can't do it but through Christ all things are possible for those who are called according to His purposes. Wow!
Thank you family. That means a lot.
When I come home I will bring each of you a souvenir Thai baby.
hahaha i love how i can never tell if you are telling the truth or exaggerating or completely fabricating a story... no matter what, i laughed when i read this
I love your blog name - love it love it love it. very cool story and we'll be praying for you as you embark on this part of the journey. Great story.
Post a Comment