Thursday, November 11, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

I like to pride myself on my strong stomach. That food's been out in the hot sun along the side of the road for four hours? No problem! Drink from an already opened-straw that the vendor hands me with his bare hands? I don't give it a second thought. Flies dancing and flitting around my bowl of noodles? Dig in!

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I'm not sure what the source of my condition is, but I'm seriously bedridden right now. As I lie here flat on my back (the only position in which I don't feel totally nauseous), it's almost laughable. But a few minutes ago when I went to the kitchen to get some much needed water to combat my dehydration, I was not laughing at all as a strong wave of nausea swept over me and sent me immediately back to my back.

And still, I have to laugh. After all my recent talk about how much I will miss the street food here and how I will be so sad about not eating Thai on a daily basis, this little bout of food-related illness is a good reminder that no matter where you are and no matter who you are, food can get the best of you sometimes.

On my back in Bangkok,
Kara

2 comments:

Andrea Britton said...

I love your blog Kara! I've been reading back for months just loving everything you've said. Praying for you this last month!!

And to drastically switch topics, just throw up. You'll feel better.

Kara said...

Thanks Andrea!!


Normally, I totally agree with your advice, but sadly this post was written after I had thrown up several times and they didn't make me feel better. :(

Sorry to whoever reads this is and grossed out! Just keeping it real.