Wednesday, January 26, 2011



Last week, AG headquarters began offering an opportunity for employees to get insane. Each day after work, a group of people are getting together to do the Insanity workout video. I've gone three times so far and my relationship with Shawn T (the trainer on the video) is already one of the love-hate variety. In the hours leading up to the workout, a growing sense of dread builds in my stomach as I think about the pain my body will soon be experiencing.

Although taking breaks throughout the video is encouraged by Shawn T himself, I absolutely hate quitting anything, so I try to stop as little as possible. And about three-quarters of the way through the workouts, I remember that I do love to push myself physically, even though it can be painful in the moment. In time, I will get stronger and healthier.

As I was thinking about this today, I was reminded of a passage that I read in James a few days ago.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

Compared to the majority of the world, I have faced very few trials in my life. Yes, there have been things that I've been stressed out over or heartbroken about, but they have all been relatively minor. I feel so blessed for the good life I've had. Sometimes my life seems too easy and I start to worry about when those real trials will come my way. Will I be diagnosed with a deadly illness? Will one of my loved ones be in a car accident? I begin to dread the unknown - things in the future that may or may not happen.

This is not a healthy way to live. One, Jesus told us not to worry. Two, if trials do come, there is much to be gained from them, as described in James.

Just like the painful Insanity workouts, trials strengthen us as we persevere. In the moment, the desire to give up can be overwhelming, but when we keep going, the end result is well worth it.

I don't know what trials lay ahead of me. (And that's a good thing because I'd get way too scared.) But I pray that the faith I'm building now will grow strong enough to persevere through whatever comes my way. Thankfully, in those times I won't have to rely solely on my own strength; God's strength will be there to sustain.

Unlike the Insanity workouts, which are done with my own strength - meager as it is.


Side note: I think it's so cool that headquarters is providing this opportunity for employees to work out together. There are people of all ages, sizes and fitness abilities in the class and everyone seems to feel comfortable. I think it's great when Christians are encouraged to take care of their bodies and participate in physical fitness activities together. We can fellowship over things other than doughnuts.

1 comment:

KMC said...

Very thought inspiring post. Thanks!