Saturday, January 1, 2011

Never Say Never

One of my all-time favorite Bible passages is Isaiah 55, especially verses 8-9 because I find that they ring so true in my own life.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

I've had many hopes and expectations in my life. Some have happened, others have not. Then there are those things that I was convinced I would never do, but God ended up leading me to do those things. Although at one point, I may never have desired to do certain things, looking back I am always so thankful that God's thoughts and plans are higher than mine. I'm so thankful for the path He is leading me on...even though it's not always what I would have planned for myself, ultimately it's way better.

Here are a few things I promised myself I would never do.

1. Raise funds as a missionary. It took me two years and a lot of anxious prayers, but that's how I got to Thailand.

2. Work at the Assemblies of God Headquarters. Throughout college, I swore I would never work at "Mecca", but within a couple weeks of graduating, I was working a summer job with world missions. Then the fall after graduating, I was hired in the Office of Public Relations, where I worked until leaving for Thailand. Both jobs turned out to be great learning experiences with kind, supportive coworkers.

3. Live in Springfield, Missouri. I stayed in Springfield for two years after graduating. I will always look back on those years with a smile. My roommates were amazing and we had so many fun memories with our other friends in town. I am so thankful that we all learned how to be grown-ups together.

4. Return to Springfield and return to headquarters. Hmmm....let's just say I'm typing this from Springfield and that in about 36 hours, I will return for my third new employee orientation at AGHQ. I'm going to be filling in temporarily for my prior position in the Office of Public Relations.

After an incredible, adventure-filled, relationship-centered year in Thailand, returning to Springfield and headquarters can admittedly feel less than exciting. But when I stop and look back at all the "nevers" that God has turned into incredible opportunities, I do feel a little excited about the next five months in good, old Springfield. Who knows what will actually be in store? And even if it's not as fun as riding motorbikes through Bangkok, God is once again providing for my needs and surrounding me with people who I love. What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

KMC said...

Nice post. I like it. Very real and underscores how our lives are best understood many times looking back!